Saturday, June 18, 2011

An improvement none the less...

We are always DIYing...

 Because we are cheap, we cant hire anyone to come out here, because we don't want people to know where we live, because its hard to give directions here, because we LIKE to do things our way... on our time...

Whatever the reason... that's the way it is. Since i have been on the "Godly role of a woman" kick i haven't done much DIYing.. I have been leaving it up to Mr. Rigger to conjure up our tasks and to tell me how to approach them.

I like it that way...

But i don't like this...



This is the one of the reasons i rarely cook anymore, and my food sucks....

It is just a mess known as the "Pantry" a utility shelf propped against a wall and piled with stuff, and then when i go shopping its piled with more and more and more stuff... If you want anything off this shelf you must first take your warrior stance and prepare for falling and flying objects. It is a disaster.

So one of my super cute, funny and good at everything she does friends says to me.... "So then we can build you some cabinets... its super easy"

I smiled to cover the cringing and grinding of the teeth... Yeah i'm sure YOU can build cabinets, but not me... However she convinced me in a moment of weakness and i bought the product and brought it home... I couldn't sleep that night... "oh my if Mr. Rigger comes home and i have done nothing with this, I am gonna feel like such a shit!"

So I tried my hand at cabinet making and with a total fly by the seat of my pants attitude, and my mother here to work the skil saw (I don't play with electrical things) we came up with this....




The shelves are super high so all the big boxes fit and they are 16 inches deep not as deep as a normal base cabinet but not as shallow as a normal upper either.


So then i put them up. Now i only built two, i need two more but i want them to have then have more shelves and not be as wide.

So now that wall looks like this....





It seems more controllable to me and as i organized things back on to these shelves i found some things out
a) I have enough garbage bags to last me 230 days!
b) I probably have enough ketchup to last that long too!
c) I have 20... TWENTY jars or preserved pears from last season.
d) Someone in my house LOVES Parmesan cheese, We have three things of it.
e) We never finish a sleeve of saltine crackers before opening another one.
f) marshmallows turn into rocks when you add air.
g) no one in my family likes beans, hence the rusty bean cans at the back of the shelf.

Its good to know these things. My grocery bill should go down substantially until we can use what we have and get it back to a normal amount of food with less "extras".

My mother and i are on a diet so we are changing the way we eat a bit. It was probably a good time to get this done and take stock of what we have to incorporate into some new dishes.

I am glad its done, it makes me feel less like moving out when i walk into the kitchen. Next week we are ripping off the wall to the left of my "after" picture (This is where my sink is) to rebuild the dilapidated existing one...

Super fun... a 16 by 9 hole in the side of my house with a gaping hole into the basement...

Good times....


Good times...

Gonna be super fun! Get to do my favorite demolition procedure... The one where you tie the house to the truck and gun it!! and pull a piece of the house off!!! WOOO hoooo!!

I will take pictures....

So in the aftermath of next week we will have accomplished a few things....

We will have a kitchen (or laundry room) with a floor that doesn't freeze in the winter and house mice in the spring and fall..

We will have the beginnings of a second floor exit.... We are putting a flat roof on said addition to put a door out the bathroom, in case of fire (we know all to well fires can happen) or the need to exit the second floor in a quick fashion.

We will have a little more room in the kitchen (only about 6 square feet) but still its more than we've got...

Pictures to come of renos (hopefully gone right, not wrong)

Big Dog cooked dinner tonight, perhaps my clean kitchen inspired him today.....



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave us a message if you are inspired to do so. Please be kind, we have kiddos that read here.