Thursday, March 17, 2011

Springs sprung... Memo received!




While taking truck to the shop... stopped to check the mail and my seed order was there!

WOOO HOOO!!!!

In no particular order we have....

Spaghetti squash
Curled Simpson lettuce
Green Goliath broccoli
Romaine lettuce
Long green cucumber
Chives
Shasta Daisies
Casper pumpkins
Early dawn Cauliflower
Vancouver Spinach
Russian Giant Sunflowers
Luffa Gourds (super fun luffa soaps to come if they work out!)
Dill
Pickle Cucumbers
Zinnias.. State fair mix
Spring Peas
Green arrow peas
Kohl Rabi
Carrots (on seed tapes to prevent the crowding we had last year)
Castor beans (still hesitant because they are super poisonous but soooo pretty... maybe a fence will chill my nerves)
Annual bunching onions
Iceland poppies
Atlantic Giant pumpkin (the kids request)
Shepherds Scabiosa
Falling in love poppy
Little Indian Baby corn
Zucchini
Alaska mix nasturtium
English cucumber
and Sugary corn...

I still need a few things... I have 420 seedling trees coming from Shand Nurseries, mostly Seabuckthorn, buffalo berries, and Saskatoon's...

I still need strawberries and potatoes, onions, garlic, wheat and oats, and maybe some herbs... Haven't decided yet.

I am having dreams of this garden but they always seem to end in nightmare. Around Christmas we bought a tractor which almost broke us and now we have a tractor with no attachments... I was hoping to be able to rototill the entire acre and a half atop my might steed but it seems unlikely at this point. So we will be using the 18inch front drive tiller we have used in past years.. It does a great job its just it drags you around and you can only handle the vibration in your arms for so long before they feel like they are going to fall off and you need a break.

It will be fine! just means more cardio and bending for the group... no biggy... we can do this! Optimism.... positive self talks... no negativity! (hey... I'm trying)

I drew pictures this morning of what I want the garden to look like.. I still need to make some decisions but the plan is coming together. I wonder if you could rent a tiller from somewhere? hmmm... have to ask around...

I feel okay this week. I have been absolutely exhausted since Mr. Rigger left. Been going to bed with the kids at 8 and getting up at 8 am.. Had a nap yesterday too (thanks mum). No motivation to move off the couch and to tired to move at times... Nauseated as all heck too... There was a flu going around the last few weeks that our friends had and they said they were super tired but no nausea, maybe that's one of those special bonuses just for me!

And no I'm not pregnant.... I'm sure there are other reasons for nausea... Although that would be kinda funny (not as in haha but as in hmmm that's really weird) if I was because 3 of our six children were conceived in March and there birthdays are within 28 days of each other (Dec 12 and 22 and Jan 11) ahhhh spring breakup in the oil patch.. got to love it!

The kids have been able to play outside the past few days.. It has been wonderful. J bear and Birdie Gail have been on the deck playing ball and exploring. The others rode bikes on the snow, and played with sheep, goats, and kitties. Big Dog even hit the baseball with the bat and taught Cesar to fetch it for him! (smart pup).

Hopeful for the future today, a garden, fresh veggies to eat, self sufficiency, kids laughing and playing while they weed... (okay maybe its a little far fetched but like I said I'm hopeful)

Wishing you all well....and in case you missed the memo.......Spring has sprung!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave us a message if you are inspired to do so. Please be kind, we have kiddos that read here.