Monday, April 11, 2011

More building...

If you have wood floors they are bound over time to get gouges. Around our dining room table it is common for fidgetting children to bounce there chairs all over the place and gouge the floors on a daily basis. It was driving me crazy. So we decided that benches would work well for us. We went to antique shops and found beautiful vintage benches for about 300.00 a piece... Not likely... So we went to furniture stores and found okay benches for around 200.00 a piece... Again not likely... So one day while i was looking through a 2X4 design book I found a pattern for a picnic table and benches made out of 2X10s ! 


 We made these benches....


2x10S were about $10 a piece and two benches requires 3 2X10s... we bought stain and pre-stain and some sanding pads and in total spend about $60.00 for two benches!



So no more retro chairs digging into the floors in the dining room



I think this looks much better. I only have one stained and completely finished, I am still sanding the other one but i couldn't wait to bring it in.....



Another huge bonus is where we could only seat 3 on each side with our over sized retro chairs five can sit comfortably on each bench ... we have seating for twelve! We wont have to up size for quite a while. I am considering making short benches for the ends but i was also thinking i could find some vintage captain chairs and stain them to match...

I think this may be the beginning of a trend for me... furniture that.....


 MATCHES!!!

How very foreign...

I have never had any style of theme in our home... But i like how clean and tidy it looks... And we (Mr. Rigger measuring, cutting and putting together) and (me sanding and staining and keeping children off it while it dried) make a pretty darn good team, yet again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave us a message if you are inspired to do so. Please be kind, we have kiddos that read here.