Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I'm married to a meat man!

My husband grew up a Hutterite. For those of you that don't know the term, it would be comparable to Amish only they are all about technology. They run commercial dairies, grow self sustaining gardens and sell the residual, they farm grain, cattle, pigs, chickens, and sell all for profit above and beyond what they need to self sustain. They are amazing! They make their own clothes, and each woman only works about two weeks a year in the kitchen ( I love to cook but if i had to cook for 200 people everyday I think i would be thankful to only have to do it for two weeks)

So anyways he eats a lot of meat. Like he would love to eat bacon and eggs for breakfast, tuna sandwiches with veggies for lunch and BBQ chicken for dinner... everyday! Which as you can imagine is monotonous... whats for dinner... meat... breaky... meat... lunch? .. yup more meat.. and its expensive.

At one point when he worked a lot away from home I had us on a completely vegetarian diet and then when he came home we ate meat, now it would seem since hes doing the shopping with me I am finding that we are eating meat every night again and in a hopes to fill a freezer with our own home grown stuff this year I am finding it hard to gauge what we are going to eat.. and WHERE WE ARE GOING TO PUT IT!

We eat 2 chickens at a meal... so if we had a chicken meal once every week that would be 52 chickens to freeze.

Organization sure is a big job. I do not intend to ever change my husband but when he works i am able to feed the children and myself in a less expensive way so if we have meat once a week while hes gone I save 19 meat meals (in comparison to eating meat every day) that's not bad!

So instead of 30 meat meals a month it would be 10 (seven days hes home a month)... My belly and my budget like it!!!

THE LINE UP AS OF RIGHT NOW:

20 turkeys
100 meat birds
50 heritage chicks
hopefully 3 lambs
and maybe a milk cow!!!!!!

Ohhhh its all still a dream right now but maybe if I pray... pray.... pray and the Lord wants it that way... then it will all happen.

Here's hoping...

P.S. The trucks are still stuck, but we got the car out! wooo hoooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave us a message if you are inspired to do so. Please be kind, we have kiddos that read here.